Today is Wednesday, Jan. 17. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Winter has officially set in. Temperatures today will struggle to approach 40 degrees, but probably won’t reach them. Weather.com also predicts overnight lows around 16 degrees and winds as high as 24 miles per hour.
2. Former Charlestown longshoreman passes. The Boston Herald published a death notice this week for Paul A. Wood II, a former South Boston resident who once worked as a longshoreman in Charlestown for Massport.
3. City Council meets today. The agenda will include a discussion of the Fenway Alliance's application to the Massachusetts Cultural Council to create a state authorized cultural district "The Fenway Cultural District.”
4. We’re not done with BUILD. We brought you the of about a California nonprofit that has come to Charlestown to try to turn would-be dropouts into college students and entrepreneurs. Since then, we’ve brought you two more pieces and will post at least one more this week. We think this is an interesting program and an important story—that’s going on in your community—and we’d like to hear what you think about it.
5. Photos? Photos! came from our . If you would like your photos featured on the site, either add them to the gallery or email them to email@example.com.