1. Sunny: Today will be sunny but cold, with a high near 28 degrees and wind gusts up to 25 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. This evening, there will be increasing clouds with a low around 22.
2. Orange Line diversion: Buses will replace Orange Line trains between Sullivan Square and Oak Grove MBTA stations on Saturday, Jan. 19 through Sunday, Jan. 20. All shuttle bus stops are accessible for persons with disabilities. Normal Orange Line train service will resume on Monday.
3. Warm clothing collection: Dependable Cleaners, in partnership with Friends of Boston’s Homeless, is collecting new or gently used winter hats, scarves, gloves, mittens and new warm socks for the annual Warm Hands, Warm Hearts Campaign at any of their 16 locations. There are two locations in the Back Bay area, at 110 Newbury St. and 316 Newbury St., and clients using Dependable Cleaners’ pickup service can also leave donations with their delivery drivers. Donations will be accepted through Jan. 31.
4. Day of Empowerment: Charlestown residents are invited to join girls and women from around Boston to talk openly about sexual violence and learn skills to empower and protect themselves during the “Raise Your Voice” event this Saturday, Jan. 19 at Northeastern University. The day will include four workshops, such as a personal safety training and Rape Aggression Defense System sample class and speakers from the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center. RSVP required; email email@example.com.
5. Check it out: Every wondered how to check out a digital book on your nook e-reader from the Boston Public Library? Learn how at a free class offered today at 2:30 p.m. at the Central Library’s Training Lab (700 Boylston St.). Bring your nook, nook cord and Boston Public Library card number and PIN.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."