Houston, we have liftoff! Okay, not quite yet. But Spaulding is definitely on the launching pad!
In late April, we marked an important – and celebratory – milestone: less than one year from now, our staff and patients will relocate to a state-of-the-art hospital in the Navy Yard.
Already the excitement running through our organization is quite, well, contagious (sorry – couldn’t resist). You can feel it in the hallways, the therapy rooms, the labs, even the cafeteria! How I wish you could see Spaulding right now. The entire staff seems to have a little extra spring in our steps.
Come to think of it, Spaulding isn’t really counting down at all. On the contrary, we’re counting UP! Up to a new location, new technology, and a whole new beginning.
Speaking of counting, here are some fun factoids related to the Spaulding community and our Charlestown home-to-be:
- Number of freestanding rehabilitation hospitals ranked annually by US News & World Report: 147
- Spaulding’s current ranking: 5 out of 147
- Number of patients treated annually by Spaulding: 2300 inpatient; 146,000 outpatient
- Number of patient rooms for adults and children in the new Charlestown hospital: 132
- In Mass General: 907
- Amount of contaminated soil removed from Parcel 6 prior to the start of construction: 190,000 tons
- Amount of debris removed from the World Trade Center after 9/11: 1.8 million tons
- Amount of water in the new hospital’s therapy pools: 50,000 gallons
- In London’s 2012 Olympic pools: 2.6 million gallons
- Length by which the HarborWalk will be extended as it wraps around the new hospital: 1800 feet
- Number of dogs who are enthusiastic about this: 401 (ie every licensed dog in Charlestown!)
- Number of therapy dogs from Caring Canines who volunteer in Spaulding’s pet therapy program: 4
- Average weight of a single 150-year-old live oak timber uncovered during excavation on the hospital site at Parcel 6: 10,000 pounds
- Value of helping our patients find their strength: PRICELESS!!!