Today is Friday, Jan. 6. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Weird weather day. Here’s what it looks like: cold, less cold, cold again, then something approaching warm. We’ll top out in the low 40s, and we might see a little bit of snow in the morning.
2. A bit of history. I found this out a little late in the day, but, apparently, yesterday was the anniversary of the 1874 vote for Boston to annex Charlestown, Brighton and West Roxbury. The City of Boston archives published the official vote counts. Take a look.
3. Keep the conversation going. We’ve had a so far. People seem to be upset about two things: the proposed elimination of the 92 bus and the proposed elimination of the ferry that docks at the Charlestown Navy Yard.
4. A cool video worth revisiting. This popped up again earlier this week due to the installation of a similar machine elsewhere in the state. We’ve included it above, but you can see it full-size on YouTube.
5. Charlestown responds to pizza challenge. Tweeter @BostonCheapGuy posted yesterday that Charlestown has no good pizza places. Well, within a short time of our retweet, our followers told @BostonCheapGuy he was wrong. Feel free to join the chorus.