Man Freed From Prison Arrested Again on Drug Dealing Charges in South End

Torrie Haynes, 30, who was released from a three-year prison term due to the scandal at the state drug lab in JP, was arrested on new charges in the South End on Saturday.

A Dorchester man who recently won an early release from a three-year prison sentence due to the scandal at the state drug lab today found himself back in court yesterday after he was arrested once again on a new drug distribution case in the South End, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's office. 

Torrie Haynes, 30, was arraigned on Tuesday and held on $2,000 cash bail on charges of distribution of a Class B substance as a subsequent offense, resisting arrest, and two counts of assault and battery on a police officer. He was held without bail for drug distribution out of Suffolk Superior Court. 

Haynes has been convicted of drug distribution offenses five different times in four different courts and has three prior convictions for assault and battery, prosecutors said.

Haynes was released on Oct. 16 from a three-year prison sentence following a January conviction for distribution of a Class B substance as a second or subsequent offense. His conviction for that incident arose out of a 2011 arrest for cocaine distribution also in the South End. A Suffolk Superior Court judge stayed that sentence after the chemist who tested that cocaine, Annie Dookhan, was accused of mishandling evidence in other drug cases.  

Haynes was one of 238 men who sought to have their Suffolk Superior Court drug sentences stayed because Dookhan played a role in testing the substances they possessed, distributed, or trafficked, and one of 109 who did so successfully during a series of specialized session dedicated to cases affected by the drug lab disaster. 

Haynes' Arrest in the South End
Boston Police Drug Control Unit detectives said they witnesssed Haynes take part in what they believed to be a drug transaction on East Berkeley Street in Boston’s South End at about 4:50 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

When approached by officers, Haynes allegedly began to back away and repeatedly made swallowing motions, leading police to believe he had more drugs in his mouth that he was attempting to swallow, prosecutors said. 

During a struggle in which police tried to keep him from swallowing the objects in his mouth, prosecutors allege that Haynes bit one officer and injured a second when he landed on that officer’s ankle. Haynes spit out four plastic bags of crack cocaine, according to prosecutors. Police also recovered a $5 bill that prosecutors said Haynes tossed in a sewer grate.

Haynes was represented by attorney Duncan Greenhalgh. He will return to the BMC on Dec. 12 and Suffolk Superior Court on Nov. 19.

MPreston November 15, 2012 at 01:18 AM
Thank-you to the Boston Police Drug Control Unit detectives ! You take on a very difficult job and you do it very well; your work is much appreciated. And thank-you to Sara Jacobi for a well written very informative article. Thank-you for giving your readers the information we need. Agreed it is a sad story, but we still need to know.
Sara Jacobi November 15, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Thanks, MPreston. Agreed, sad story.
williamstroup November 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM
morons never learn do they


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »