Today is Friday, Dec. 30. Here are five things you need to know:
1. It’s January—in theory, anyway. As we begin our second day of 2012, we can brace for temperatures as brisk and cold as… the high 40s? Okay, we might start the morning near freezing, but it’s seriously going to warm as the day goes on. Look out for the wind later on.
2. A goodbye to a Charlestown son. Salvatore J. "Sal" Lombardo, 83, of Dartmouth, passed away at his home on Saturday after a battle with cancer and Alzheimer's disease. He was born and grew up in Charlestown, the son of the late Giacomo and Nunzia (LaCascia) Lombardo.
3. A meeting tonight. The Charlestown Neighborhood Council’s basic services committee will hold a public hearing on a located at 156-164 Bunker Hill Street. All interested citizens are encouraged to attend. If you have any questions, please call committee chair Bill Galvin at 617-242-3862.
4. A meeting this week. The CNC Development Committee will be hosting a meeting for for 40 Warren Street (Old English Garage). The meeting will include discussion of the zoning and architectural design expectations for the project. The meeting will occur at 7 pm at the Knights of Columbus Upper Hall, on Thursday. It is anticipated that the project will be requesting final approval from the Zoning Board of Appeal on Jan. 24.
5. Kudos to a local. We received an announcement Friday that Renee M. Hawk, a Charlestown resident and family law attorney at Barron & Stadfeld, P.C., was selected as a .