Today is Monday, Oct. 10. Here are five things you need to know today.
1. It's Columbus Day, a holiday in Massachusetts. Retail shops are open today, but banks, libraries and post offices and other municipal buildings are closed. The MBTA is running on a Saturday schedule. And there are some special events in the city that might cause extra traffic. Click here for traffic advisories.
2. To mark the holiday weekend, the USS Stephen W. Groves will be in the Navy Yard today. It's open for public visiting from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
3. There's a new store in town--Swell, a lovely little boutique and bodywork space. It's on Warren Street, a block over from Joy of Old. Stop by and say hello Emily Randolph Silva, the Charlestown woman behind the operation. (We'll have more details on the shop later this week.)
4. Wanna take a free (or affordable) class at ? They've been listing lots of them in our calendar on Patch recently. (African drumming, for example.) Take a look at the listings for more info.
5. Today's forecast: Another stunner. Sunny with a high around 78.