The Navy announced this week that Charlestown’s own USS Constitution will play a feature part in Boston Navy Week 2012.
Boston will be one of 15 cities across the nation slated to take part in festivities from June 29 through July 6.
“America’s Navy will ‘come home’ in 2012,” according to the release, “giving area residents an opportunity to meet Sailors and learn about the Navy’s capabilities and relevance to national security.”
The event in Boston will commemorate the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 and The Star Spangled Banner.
In addition to events centered around the USS Constitution, the Navy has plans for the following in Boston:
- “Blue Angels,” The Navy Flight Demonstration Team
- “Leap Frogs,” The Navy Parachute Team
- Visiting U.S. Navy Ships
- Navy Band musical performances
- Admirals and other senior Navy leaders, who will engage with local corporate, civic, government and education leaders
- Navy simulator and other interactive displays
- Visits to area schools
- Community service projects and events with local sports franchises
- Visits with local veterans
Other cities hosting a Navy Week in 2012 are: Phoenix; New Orleans; Nashville, Tenn.; Spokane, Wash.; Baltimore; Sacramento, Calif.; Sioux Falls, S.D.; Milwaukee; Chicago; Toledo, Ohio; Cleveland; Detroit; Buffalo, N.Y.; and Houston.