1. Chance of rain: Rain is possible, mainly after 4 p.m. and again in the evening, with clouds the rest of the day, according to the National Weather Service. High: 48, Low: 38.
2. Pearl Harbor remembrance: Today marks the 71st anniversary of the Japanese attack on the U.S. naval base in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The Boston National Historical Park will host a memorial service today from 12:30-1 p.m. on the bow of the World War II destroyer USS Cassin Young in the Charlestown Navy Yard (10 Third Ave.). This event is free and open to the public.
3. Mayor’s Trolley Tour: The annual Macy's Enchanted Trolley Tour will begin today, with a 5:30 p.m. visit to West Roxbury followed by stops in Readville, Mattapan and Dorchester. Santa Claus, Macy's holiday characters and Mayor Thomas Menino are scheduled to travel to each of the neighborhoods in Boston to flip the switch on 16 Christmas trees today through Sunday, Dec. 9. The trolley will stop in Charlestown's Thompson Square on Sunday at 3:15 p.m.
4. Got Christmas lights? Entering Patch’s “Deck the House” contest is as easy as snapping a photo and posting it on our contest page—and it could win you $500 off your utility bill or the grand prize of $100,000 for Boston Public Schools! So far we haven’t received any entries, but there are definitely some great looking houses around Charlestown that should be in the running. Click here for details. And while you’re at it, enter Boston’s “Deck the Rooftops” contest, with prizes for multi-family homes, porches and balconies, apartment buildings and best street. Deadline to enter both contests is Dec. 16.
5. Show your support: The Glen Doherty Foundation is accepting donations to help provide scholarships, subsidies, grants and gifts to special operations professionals and their families. The organization was started in memory of Glen Doherty, one of four Americans killed in an attack against the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya on Sept. 12, 2012. Glen’s father, Ben Doherty, is a Charlestown resident.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to email@example.com to be featured in one of our morning “5 Things.”