1. Rainy: Today will be rainy and windy, with gusts up to 44 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be cloudy with more showers possible after 11 p.m. High: 50, Low: 33.
2. Newtown donations: Charlestown residents who are looking for a way to help the people of Newtown, CT are invited to bring sympathy cards, notes and letters, teddy bears, monetary donations or other items to Olivia Browning by 1 p.m. today. Volunteers from the Boston Women’s Network will pick up the items and deliver them to Newtown over the weekend.
3. Townie Santa deliveries: Townie Santa will be visiting many of Charlestown’s elderly, needy shut-ins on Sunday, Dec. 23, to deliver Christmas gifts, a gift certificate for groceries and a turkey dinner. Delivery of the baskets will begin at noon from James W. Conway Bunker Hill American Legion Post 26, 23 Adams St. Volunteers are needed to help deliver, to help with final food preparations and packing starting at 10 a.m. and to help clean up after 1 p.m. Donations are also welcome. For information, call Tim Conway at 617-241-9266 or e-mail TownieSanta@gmail.com.
4. Noire Fridays: Celebrate the old black and white movies with a free screening each Friday afternoon at the South End Branch Library (685 Tremont St.) This week's offering is "Angel Face" with Robert Mitchum. The show goes on at 2 p.m.
5. Globe Santa: Today is the last day to donate to Globe Santa for this holiday season. Cash donations will be accepted between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. in the Center Court at Copley Place. The organization delivers holiday gifts to children in need throughout the Greater Boston area. Donations can also be made online at globesanta.org.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to email@example.com to be featured in one of our morning “5 Things.