1. Still cold: Today will be sunny but the chilliness will remain, with a high around 19 degrees and wind chill values as low as -9 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Wind gusts will top out around 33 miles per hour. The evening will be mostly clear but windy, with a low around 6 degrees.
2. Navy Yard project meeting: The Charlestown Neighborhood Council Development Committee and the Boston Redevelopment Authority will co-host a community review meeting on plans for the Parcel 39a development proposal today at 7 p.m. at the Constitution Inn in the Navy Yard. Plans include construction of a four-story, 48,000 sq. ft. building with 54 apartments. Public comments are welcome.
3. Free books: Bring children ages 5 and up to the Charlestown Branch of the Boston Public Library today at 4 p.m. for a free puppet show and book giveaway. Following the “Midwinter Magic” show, each child present will be able to select two free books courtesy of Reading is Fundamental Inc. and the Friends of the Charlestown Library.
4. Winterfest at Fenway: Kids can test their video game skills against Red Sox players during “Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest” on Saturday, Jan. 26 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Fenway Park. Fenway batting cages will be available for use, Wally the Green Monster will greet visitors and there will be open tryouts to be the new public address announcer or National Anthem performer at Fenway Park. Red Sox tickets for 2013 games at Fenway Park go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. Buy them at the park box office, at redsox.com or by calling 888-REDSOX6.
5. Did you know? The original Mother Goose was born and raised in Charlestown. Elizabeth Foster was born in 1655, and her collection of rhymes were copied down by a son-in-law and printed as “Mother Goose’s Nursery Rhymes” in 1719, according to a post on the Charlestown Historical Society Facebook page. Like their page to learn more interesting local history facts.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."