1. Clear: Today will be sunny and clear with a high near 42 degrees and a low around 30, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Democrat meeting: The Charlestown Democratic Ward Committee will hold its first meeting of 2013 today at 7 p.m. The location is Old Sully's on Union Street. All Democrats, in good standing, are welcome to attend. For more information, contact Donna O'Brien at email@example.com or 617-543-4844.
3. Homework help: The Charlestown Branch of the Boston Public Library offers a free drop-in homework help program for students in grades K-8. High school-age mentors from Boston's public and private schools provide the academic support. The program runs daily most weeks, Monday through Thursday, from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Visit the library website for more information.
4. Free coffee: Get a free taste of Starbucks’ Blonde Roast or Vanilla Blonde coffee when a mobile café visits neighborhoods around Boston this month. The cart will be open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the following dates: Jan. 15, 17 and 23 at Harvard Square; Jan. 16 and 25 at Government Center; Jan. 18 and 24 at South Station. Along with a coffee sample, visitors can pick up a special offer for a free tall cup of coffee and $1 off packaged coffee.
5. Learn LinkedIn: The Boston Public Library is offering a beginners class for setting up and using a free account on the networking website LinkedIn, today at 2:30 p.m. at the Central Library, 700 Boylston St. Basic mouse, keyboard and Internet skills, plus an email account, are required. The class will be held in the library’s Training Lab.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."