All Boston Public Library locations will be closed on Friday, Jan. 3, due to the city-wide snow emergency. All locations will resume normal operating hours on Saturday, Jan 4.
• National Grid crews are prepared for the New England winter storm bearing down on the region today and Friday. Forecasts are calling for substantial snow accumulations and high winds along the New England coast that could flooding along coastal areas that can cause interruptions in natural gas and/or electric service.
National Grid provides a number of channels for customers to learn about service issues and interruptions during storms. Customers can receive text message alerts and updates by texting the word STORM to NGRID (64743) or follow the storm on their mobile devices by using the National Grid mobile app. The company provides real time outage information on its Outage Central web site.
The current storm, Jan-2-3
- The National Weather Service predicts 10-14 inches of snow in the Boston area.
Snow emergency in effect
Delays, cancellations and closings:
- Schools: All Boston Public Schools are CLOSED on Friday
- Municipal buildings: Regular hours. Essential employees only.
- State offices: Closed Friday
- Courthouses: Closed Friday
- Other delays reported to WHDH
- MBTA travel advisories
- Logan Airport: Open. Check your flight status.
- Trash/Recycling: Holiday schedule remains in effect
- Community Centers: Jamaica Plain, Hyde Park, East Boston and Mission Hill will remain open Friday 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m.. All other centers will close on Friday.
- Libraries: Closed Friday.
- Parking meters: Normal rules apply
- Street cleaning: Canceled Friday
Snow removal during and after the storm
- Request plowing and sanding for your street
- Boston snow removal rules and fines
- Adopt a hydrant to clear of snow
Was your car towed?
Important numbers listed by the city:
- Emergencies (Police, Fire, EMS): 911
- Mayor’s Hotline (24-Hrs): 617-635-4500
- ABCD Fuel Assistance: 617-357-6012
- Boston Water & Sewer: 617-989-7000
- Consumer Complaints: 617-635-3834
- DCR Storm Desk: 617-727-1680
- Elderly Commission: 617-635-4366
- Inspectional Services: 617-635-1010
- MBTA: 617-222-3200
- MassDOT: 857-368-6111
- National Grid Gas: 800-322-3223
- NSTAR Electric & Gas: 800-592-2000
- Tow Lot: 617-635-3900
- Verizon: 800-837-4966
- Resident can also receive snow updates using the City's Alert Boston system.
List of city-authorized cab companies:
- Top Cab: 617-266-4800
- Boston Cab: 617-536-3200
- I.T.O.A. Cab: 617-825-4000
- City Cab: 617-536-5100
- Metro Cab: 617-782-5500
- Tunnel Taxi: 617-567-2700
- 617TaxiCab: 617-829-4222