1. Today's forecast: A gray fall day as it will generally cloudy with a slight chance of a rain shower. It will be a bit warmer then yesterday with a high of 64 degrees.
2. See live owls at the Charlestown branch of the Boston Public Library, 179 Main St., from 4:30 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.The library is kicking off its owl-themed fall programming with this fun and educational show by Eyes on Owls. We'll meet six live owls native to New England, have a hooting lesson, and learn about owl conservation. Be sure to pick up an owl chart to start earning prizes.
3. Come join the staff of the Good Shepherd School, which provides a Catholic preschool education, this afternoon at 5 p.m. at the school located at 20 Winthrop St. for its annual open house to learn more about the school and its service.
4. Applications for Boston School Committee are being accepted for a vacancy and the two expiring seats on the Boston School Committee. All interested Boston residents are encouraged to apply. Application deadline is October 11, 2013 at 1 p.m.
5. On this day 200 years ago, composer Giuseppe Verdi was born in Le Roncole, Italy in 1813.