Invite a friend
CNC/DND Meeting on Armory Redevelopment
The CNC Development Committee and the Department of Neighborhood Development will be hosting a joint meeting on March 4 at 7 p.m. at the Schrafft’s Center Dining Hall at 525 Main Street, to discuss the draft language DND is proposing for the Request for Proposal document related to the redevelopment of the Charlestown Armory Building located on Bunker Hill Street.
The Department of Neighborhood Development anticipates issuing a new Request for Proposals to potential developers and is looking for community input related to the information and requirements to be included in the RFP, as well as the types of uses the community would be interested in seeing at the former Armory building. DND anticipates providing draft language for the community to review at this meeting, prior to issuing the RFP in late spring.
It is anticipated that this will be the last community meeting prior to DND issuing the RFP.
Additional meetings will occur in the fall of 2013 when it is anticipated that DND will bring prospective developers that have met the minimum RFP submission thresholds, as determined by DND, to the community to hear about the specific development proposals.
Direct abutters and the neighborhood at large are encouraged to attend.
This will be the fourth joint CNC/DND meeting on the Armory Redevelopment process.
More About Schrafft Center
A commercial building of office space, the Schrafft Center was originally built to be William Schrafft's Candy Factory in 1861. After a stint as a restaurant company, the building was remodeled in 1984 by the Flately Company who currently owns and runs the center. The building's interior walls are decorated with Wonka Factory-like photographs from its candy factory days. Aside from the offices, the center also houses a convenience store, cafe, dry cleaners, a fitness center and an ATM.