What's Open on MLK Day in Charlestown?
Municipal offices are among the places closed for today's holiday.
Today is a federal holiday observing the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (whose birthday fell this year on Tuesday, Jan. 15). The city of Boston will hold a full day of free events honoring Dr. King beginning at 10 a.m. with an open house at the Museum of Fine Arts, 465 Huntington Ave.
Because of the holiday, several locations around town will be closed today. Here's a quick guide:
- Banks: Closed
- Bars and restaurants: Open
- Convenience stores: Open
- Libraries: Closed
- Liquor stores: Open
- MBTA: Operating on a Saturday schedule
- Municipal offices (including Boston City Hall): Closed
- Parking Meters: Free, but time restrictions apply.
- Post office: Closed
- Retail stores: Open at owner's discretion
- Schools (including Boston Public): Closed
- Stock market: Closed
- Street cleaning: No Monday daytime street cleaning (except overnight 12-7 a.m. posted arterials)
- Supermarkets: Open
- Tow lot: Closed until 7 a.m. Tuesday
- Trash/Recycling: One day late for the rest of the week's schedule except for Boston proper, Charlestown, Roxbury and South Boston. See the full schedule here.