Happy Charlestown Pride Week
A guide to get you oriented for this year's Charlestown Pride celebration.
It's Monday, June 6. Happy Charlestown Pride Week. Here are five things you need to know about what's happening this week.
1. Charlestown Against Drugs is kicking off Pride Week with a serious message. Tonight at 6 p.m., organizers will lead the March Against Drugs from the police station, down Bunker Hill Street and ending at the Community Center on Medford Street. Before the march, there will be a speaking program, plus hotdogs and raffles outside the police station in Hayes Square. For more info on CHAD, visit www.csac-chad.org.
2. The celebration continues on Wednesday. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Mayor Menino is hosting a luncheon for seniors at the Knights. There will be music and bingo and a free trolley. (RSVPs are required - call Marybeth at 617-635-3959. Things will pick up Wednesday evening at the Knights during Family Feud Night. If you've got a team interested in participating, you've got to get there by 6:30 p.m.
3. Get your hair cut on Saturday -- for a cause. From 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. the Bunker Hill Barbershop is hosting a Cut-A-Thon. All proceeds will go toward the Anthony Matson Scholarship Fund. When you're done there, you can head over to the Edna Kelly Annual Doll Carriage Parade in the Training Field. Then stroll to the Charlestown Open Market on Main Street, between West School Street and Austin Street. The market runs till 3 p.m.
4. You can't march on an empty stomach. At 9 a.m. on Sunday, before the start of the parade, Bunker Hill Associates serves up the Annual Bunker Hill Day Breakfast at the Knights. Once you've eaten, you can check out what's happening at the Bunker Hill Road Race, which starts at 9:30 a.m.
5. At 12:30 p.m. on Sunday the big party begins. The Bunker Hill Parade takes over the streets of Charlestown. Stay tuned for more info this week on parade routes, road closings and special events happening during this year's celebration.
For more info on what's happening around town, visit our events calendar.