Five Things: Thanks From a Grateful Townie
And an upcoming Women's Club meeting.
Today is Wednesday, May 16. Here are five things you need to know:
1. A note of thanks. This came in while I was away, and I wanted to make sure it got to all of you: “I would like to thank the Old Charlestown Schoolboy’s Association for awarding me with the First Friday Club Pat Doherty Memorial Scholarship for my studies at Quinnipiac University in the fall. Being the grandson of an Old Schoolboy, Tom McNicholas, it was great to have him there to watch me receive the award.”
—Colin Murphy, Boston Latin School Class of 2012
2. Upcoming Women’s Club meeting. The Charlestown Women's Club will hold its monthly meeting on Sunday, May 20th at the new Knights of Columbus Hall, 545 Medford Street from 2 to 4 pm. This meeting will mark the end of the Club's second season with a celebration that will include a special appearance of the Charlestown Working Theatre's Shakespearean Players, awarding of scholarships and installation of officers for 2012-2014. This meeting is free and open to all women age 18 and over. Refreshments will be served and door prizes raffled. For more information, contact Kathy Giordano, president, at 617-242-1332.
3. City Council meets. Today’s agenda includes talk about modifying the city’s districts, which the council has been struggling with recently.
4. Comment of the day. We asked you yesterday which local professional team you would root for if you could root for no other. Well, one reader responded with this: “I root for the Teamsters Local 25 team in the Charlestown Little League.” How do you not like that?
5. Haven’t we had enough rain? Showers continue all day tomorrow, with thunder showers slated for tomorrow evening. Highs around 70. Moderate to high winds.