Complete Grocery Shuttle Schedule Announced
The Charlestown Neighborhood Council is distributing a complete list of transportation options available to local residents.
[UPDATE Friday, 6:53 a.m.]
Johnnie's Foodmaster may be closed, but there are plenty of places nearby where Charlestown residents can go for food and other staples. And three supermarket companies are helping residents get there by offering free weekly shuttle services.
- Mondays—To Stop and Shop in Medford, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays—To Shaw's in Somerville, 9-10:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays—To Stop and Shop in Medford, 6:30-11 p.m.
- Thursdays—To Whole Foods in Beacon Hill, 9-10:30 a.m., 1-2:30 p.m. and 7:30-9 p.m.; and to Stop and Shop in Medford, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 6:30-11 p.m.
- Fridays—To Shaw's in Somerville, 1-2:30 p.m.; and to Stop and Shop in Medford, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Saturdays—To Whole Foods in Beacon Hill, 9-10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.; and to Stop and Shop in Medford, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Most shuttles pick customers up in the Bunker Hill Mall, near the now closed Johnnie's Foodmaster building—which is set to reopen as a Whole Foods sometime next year.
The Whole Foods service is already underway. Stop and Shop's program beginsi Dec. 7, and Shaw's begins Dec. 11.
For full schedules and pickup locations, see the attached PDF in the image gallery above.
The John F. Kennedy Family Service Center is hosting a phone line for the weekly shuttle schedule. For shuttle times and other information, call 617-241-8866 ext. 1322.
In addition, Boston Organics—which has an office on Terminal Street—is offering special discounts to Charlestown residents while the Johnnie's site is closed. Charlestown residents will receive $10 off their first home delivery. To sign up, visit bostonorganics.com and use the promotional code CTOWN. Customers must live in the 02129 zip code to qualify for this discount.
Charlestown residents who will be using their own vehicles to get to a grocery store should take note of special toll discounts.
Qualified residents of Charlestown (02129) and Chelsea (02150) can use the Tobin Bridge for a discounted toll rate of 30 cents with an E-ZPass, according to the MassDOT website.
To sign up for an E-ZPass and get the resident's rate, individuals must visit the E-ZPass MA Customer Service Center in the Tunnel Administration Building, 145 Havre St., East Boston. Be sure to bring license and vehicle information and proof of Charlestown residency. The office is open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.