5 Things: Swing Dance, Wine Festival and Flu Shots
Deadlines, events and other items you should know about on Jan. 11 in Charlestown.
1. Rain possible: Today will be increasingly cloudy with a slight chance of showers after 4 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. Expect a “light and variable wind” throughout the day, with showers likely in the evening, mainly between midnight and 3 a.m. High: 42, Low: 36.
2. Swing dance: Drop by Boston Swing Central’s studio on Roland Street every Friday at 8 p.m. for dancing and live jazz music from the 1920s, ‘30s and ‘40s swing era. The $10 admission includes a beginner’s lesson from 8-9 p.m., with social dancing from 9 p.m. to midnight. No partner or prior experience is required.
3. Wine festival: The Boston Harbor Hotel's 24th Annual Boston Wine Festival begins today with a Grand Opening Reception in the hotel’s Wharf Room. Tickets cost $100 each. The festival runs through March 29 and features 39 festive evenings of wines, plus three themed brunches. Prices range from $75 to $225. Tickets for the opening reception and for individual events during the festival are available online at bostonwinefestival.net/shop or by calling 888-660-WINE or 617-330-9355.
4. Orange Line diversion: Buses will replace Orange Line trains between Sullivan Square and Oak Grove MBTA stations on Saturday, Jan. 12 through Sunday, Jan. 13. All shuttle bus stops are accessible for persons with disabilities. Normal Orange Line train service will resume on Monday.
5. Need a flu shot? Mayor Thomas Menino and Boston Public Health Commission officials are asking all Boston residents ages 6 months and older to get vaccinated against the flu during a series of free clinics being offered this weekend. Click here for a list of clinic locations and times.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to email@example.com to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."