5 Things: Still a Snow Emergency, Plow Requests
Deadlines, events and other items you should know about on Feb. 11 in Charlestown.
1. Rain: Rain is expected all day today, mainly before 5 p.m., with patchy fog between 1 and 4 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. Showers could continue into the evening. Remember to clear snow off rooftops to avoid collapses from the heavy snow and rain combo. High 45, Low: 33.
2. Snow emergency remains: Following the weekend snowstorm, Boston’s snow emergency and parking ban remained in effect Monday morning, with no word as to when it will be lifted. Boston Public Schools are closed today, but Boston City Hall will be open its regular hours. The MBTA is expected to be back on its weekday schedule; check mbta.com/weather for updates. Trash and recycling collection will be conducted on the normal schedule. Check for more information and updates throughout the day in Patch’s Charlestown Storm Center.
3. Need a plow? Submit requests for city workers to plow your street using this online form or call the Mayor’s Hotline at 617-635-4500. In addition, Neighbors for Neighbors has activated its SnowCrew program where those in need can post their address to the company’s online forum to request free shoveling service.
4. Volunteers needed: The Boston-based nonprofit ABCD is looking for volunteers to help low-income Boston residents get free tax preparation assistance. You can make a difference in someone's life by saving thousands of dollars in tax preparation fees.
5. Comedy show: Tickets are now available for Charlestown Youth Hockey’s annual Comedy Night fundraiser, scheduled Sunday, Feb. 17 at the Knights of Columbus hall. Tony V. will headline, along with a “star-studded lineup of comedians.” Tickets cost $25 each or $200 for a table of 10. To purchase, contact a Youth Hockey board member (contact info at cyha.com).
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to email@example.com to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."