5 Things: Mayor's 'State of the City,' Armory Meeting
Deadlines, events and other items you should know about on Jan. 29 in Charlestown.
1. Rainy: There is a slight chance of freezing rain before 8 a.m. today, then a chance of rain showers until noon, according to the National Weather Service. The rest of the day will be cloudy, with a chance for more rain and sleet before 8 p.m. and then rain showers late this evening. High: 39, Low: 36.
2. State of the City: Boston Mayor Thomas Menino will deliver his 20th “State of the City” public address tonight at 7 p.m. at Faneuil Hall. Watch it on television at 7:30 p.m. on WCVB Channel 5 (RCN and Comcast) and on NECN Channel 6 (Comcast).
3. Armory meeting: The Charlestown Neighborhood Council and the Department of Neighborhood Development will host the next in a series of meetings on the redevelopment of the Charlestown Armory building tonight from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus Hall. The DND is working on a request for proposals for development of the site. This meeting is open to the public.
4. Meet Celtics rookie Jared Sullinger: Sullinger is hosting a clothing drive at Morgan Memorial Goodwill Industries (1010 Harrison Ave.) today from 5:30-7 p.m. Bring seven or more gently used clothing items to donate and receive an autograph and photo. Each donor will also be entered into a drawing for a VIP experience at a Celtics game.
5. FAFSA help: If you missed FAFSA Day last Sunday, there are still a few opportunities to get help in Boston filing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Drop by uAspire at 31 St. James Ave., Suite 520, Boston today or Wednesday between 3 and 6 p.m. Enjoy free computer access and help with online filing. Walk-ins are welcome at both sessions. For more information, contact site coordinator Adam Reinke at 617-778-7195.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."