5 Things: Local Author Visiting Zelma Lacey House
Deadlines, events and other items you should know about on March 22 in Charlestown.
1. Partly sunny: Today will be partly sunny with a slight chance of snow showers before 9 a.m., according to the National Weather Service. High: 41, Low: 28. Weekend forecast: A mix of clouds and sun, with highs in the low 40s and lows between 29 and 32 degrees.
2. Author visit: Charlestown author Kevin E. Kelly will visit the Zelma Lacey House (9 W. School St.) today at 3 p.m. for a book signing and discussion of his new book, about growing up in Charlestown. This event is open to the community.
3. School auction: Charlestown Nursery School (124 Main St.), which is celebrating five years in Charlestown, will hold their annual auction and fundraiser Saturday, March 23 from 7-11 p.m. The event will include a live and silent auction, appetizers and one drink with each ticket. All are welcome. Tickets cost $75 and are available online.
4. Swing dance: Drop by Boston Swing Central’s studio (24 Roland St.) every Friday at 8 p.m. for dancing and live jazz music from the 1920s, ‘30s and ‘40s swing era. The $10 admission includes a beginner’s lesson from 8-9 p.m., with social dancing from 9 p.m. to midnight. No partner or prior experience is required.
5. DCR art contest: The Department of Conservation and Recreation is seeking artists to paint wildlife and landscape scenes on 99 Iron Rangers, the narrow metal contribution containers located in parks across the state. Donations placed in the Iron Rangers directly benefit the state parks. Artists' proposals must be submitted by April 26. Selected artists will be notified by May 1, and the work must be completed by Aug. 30. Submissions should be sent to Sharon Hoey, Department of Conservation and Recreation, Suite 600, 251 Causeway St., Boston, MA 02114.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to email@example.com to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."