5 Things: Library Dog, Charlestown Fundraisers
Deadlines, events and other items you should know about on March 11 in Charlestown.
1. Possible rain: Today will be cloudy with a chance of showers, according to the National Weather Service. Rain is possible in the evening as well. High: 50, Low: 40.
2. Reading buddy: The Charlestown Branch of the Boston Public Library will host a special visitor today. Bring the kids by at 2:30 p.m. to read to Seamus, a trained therapy dog. This program is free and open to all.
3. Support the Kennedy Center: Mayor Thomas Menino, City Councilor Sal LaMattina and local legislators Sal DiDomenico and Gene O'Flaherty will host a fundraiser for the Kennedy Center in Charlestown on Wednesday, March 13 at the Knights of Columbus Hall. Tickets, at a recommended $100 per person, can be purchased at the door or by sending a check to the John F. Kennedy Family Service Center at 23 A Moulton Street, Charlestown, MA 02129.
4. Coming up: The Townies Association is hosting a fundraiser for the Bunker Hill Day Parade on Friday, March 15 from 8 p.m. to midnight at Sullivan's Pub. The Shamrockah Down Sully's will feature live traditional Irish music from Stuart Peak & the Bowling Brothers, step dancing from the Woods School of Irish Dance and live entertainment by DJ Jackie Kelly. There is a suggested donation of $5.
5. Scholarship available: Applications are now being accepted for the $5,000 Michael P. Quinn Scholarship. To qualify, an applicant must have been a resident of Charlestown for the past four years and must be a graduate with the Class of 2013. For more information, call Ronan J. FitzPatrick at 617-242-5493. The deadline to apply is April 8.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to email@example.com to be featured in one of our morning "5 Things You Should Know."