5 Things: CNC Meeting, Walkway Closure and Toy Donation Spots
Five things you should know about today in Charlestown.
1. Partly sunny: Today will be party sunny with a light wind and a high near 53 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Expect showers tonight, mainly after 2 a.m., with a low around 48.
2. CNC meeting: The Charlestown Neighborhood Council will meet tonight at 7 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus hall on Medford Street. See the full agenda in the image gallery to the right.
3. Pedestrian walkway on Charles closed: The Department of Conservation and Recreation will close access to the pedestrian walkway over the Charles River Dam Locks, adjacent to Paul Revere Park and Lovejoy Wharf, from 7 a.m. on Dec. 4 through Wed., Dec. 12, at 4 p.m. Pedestrians are advised to use alternate routes such as the North Washington Street Bridge during this time. The commercial boat lock of the dam will also be out of service during this time. Any vessel with a beam greater than 22 feet will not be able to transit the locks during this time.
4. Toy donations: Several places around Charlestown are hosting collection bins for the U.S. Marine Corps’ annual Toys for Tots holiday drive. Drop off your donations now through Dec. 15 at the Teamsters Local 25 union hall, 544 Main St., or through Dec. 18 at Hair Cuttery, 5 Austin St.
5. City alerts: With possible snow emergencies coming, it's a good time to make sure your updated contact information is registered with Alert Boston, the city's emergency notification system. Sign up to get emergency alerts on your phone, by email or text message.
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in one of our morning “5 Things.”