5 Things: Battle Exhibit, State Rep. Office Hours and Homework Help at the Library
Five things you should know about today in Charlestown.
1. Milder: Today will be mostly sunny with a high near 55 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be mostly clear with a low around 37.
2. Homework help: The Charlestown Branch of the Boston Public Library offers a free drop-in homework help program for students in grades K-8. High school-age mentors from Boston's public and private schools provide the academic support. The program runs daily most weeks, Monday through Thursday, from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Visit the library website for more information.
3. Battle history: Now through Dec. 29, visit the USS Constitution Museum in the Charlestown Navy Yard and explore a special exhibition of artifacts and images from the Constitution's battle with HMS Java on Dec. 29, 1812. Experience the battle and its bloody aftermath with the video, "Honors of War," playing in the Figgie Theater. The museum is open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
4. Office hours: Second Suffolk District State Rep. Eugene O’Flaherty holds office hours every first and third Monday of the month from 11 a.m. to noon at Zume’s Coffee House.
5. Deck your house: Planning to decorate your house for the holiday season? Snap a photo or shoot some video of your domestic masterpiece and share it on Charlestown Patch for a chance to win $500 off your utility bill and a grand prize of $100,000 for your local school. The contest runs through Dec. 16. Enter now!
Got a Charlestown event coming up? Make sure it's on our calendar and send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in one of our morning “5 Things.”